The super-premium stave
Dedicated to the aging of top-of-the-range wines
- Very thick French oak staves to obtain a very gradual extraction of oak compounds.
- Elegant and complex aromatic contribution, respecting the fruit and the terroir.
- Gradual and elegant build-up of structure, fullness, sweetness and persistency on the palate.
OBJECTIVE: Top quality oak profiles for exceptional wines coming from great terroirs and vineyards which have been prepared with great care.
- Technical characteristicsFrench oak
+/- 500 g (1.10 lbs)
0.125 m2 (1.34 sq ft)
Extended Light, Medium, Medium plus
Carton box of 40 staves, pallet of 25 boxes
- Guidelines for use
OPTIMAL PERIOD FOR STARTING CONTACT
– White wines:
From start of primary fermentation to obtain a well-integrated oak profile and to respect the profile of the fruit.
– Red wines:
Before malolactic fermentation to obtain a more complex aromatic profile and maximum integration of the tannic structure.
RECOMMENDED AGING TEMPERATURE
15°C (60°F) minimum with strict monitoring of microbiological conditions.
It is recommended that the staves be attached halfway up the tank, using food-grade binding straps, or to stack them on stainless steel rods.
RECOMMENDED TIME OF CONTACT
Minimum 8 months, to be monitored by tasting.
- Recommended dose rates
- Practical examples of use
On a blend of powerful and concentrated Merlot-Cabernet, aiming for a complex and elegant oak profile, respecting the terroir, similar to that obtained with traditional aging: 2 staves/hl (0.10 sq ft/gal), 20% light toast, 50% medium toast, 30% medium plus toast at the start of malolactic fermentation.
On late harvest sweet wines, aiming for complexity and elegance, similar to that obtained with traditional aging: 2 staves/hl (0.10 sq ft/gal), 1/3 medium toast, 2/3 medium plus toast at the start of primary fermentation.
- Test resultsProductNektar Exclusive Medium toastDose1,5 stv/hLOak contactAgingTime of contact10 monthsVarietalCabernet SauvignonVintage2014Geographic areaBordeaux, France