To refresh the oak profile
of your old barrels
- A tool to place in your barrels to extend the time of their use.
- A more intense and pleasing aromatic oak profile, masking the « old wood » notes.
- Contribution of sweetness and volume on the palate, covering the dry tannins generated by the old barrels.
OBJECTIVE: Refresh the aromas and taste of wines aged in old barrels.
- Technical characteristicsFrench oak or American oak
+/- 350 g (0.77 lbs)
0.1 m2 (1.08 sq ft)
Extended Light, Medium, Medium Plus (French oak), Specific (American oak)
Sets of sticks individually packaged, carton box of 24 sets
- Guidelines for use
OPTIMAL PERIOD FOR STARTING CONTACT
– White wines:
As soon as the must is put in barrel for primary fermentation to obtain a well-integrated oak profile and to respect the fruit profile.
– Red wines:
As soon as the wine is put in barrel for better integration of the aromatic oak profile and of the tannic structure.
RECOMMENDED AGING TEMPERATURE
15°C (60°F) minimum with strict monitoring of microbiological conditions.
Insert into the barrel through the bung hole after making space: 1 set of sticks represents approx. 0.6 liters (0.16 gallons).
RECOMMENDED TIME OF CONTACT
Minimum 8 months, to be monitored by tasting.
- Recommended dose rates
- Practical examples of use
On a ripe and full-bodied Chardonnay fermented in 3 year-old barrels: 3 sets of Nektar Sticks French oak (1 set extended light, 1 set medium, 1 set medium plus) at the beginning of primary fermentation.
On a ripe and powerful Cabernet Sauvignon, aged in 3 year-old barrels: 3 sets of Nektar Sticks French oak (1 set medium, 2 sets medium plus) and 1 set of Nektar Sticks American oak at the beginning of aging.
- Test resultsProductNektar SticksOak contactAgingTime of contact11 monthsVarietal50% Merlot, 50% Cabernet FrancVintage2015Geographic areaBordeaux MédocBarrel volume225 litersBarrel age4 years old